Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Welcome To The Offbeat Housewife!

Welcome to The Offbeat Housewife. I had thought up the idea of this blog for many reasons, but simply to share my experience/adventures of the domestic arts in a life that isn't quite that.

When we think of a 'House Wife' most of us imagine a June Cleaver type with adorable aprons over beautiful dresses while she vacuums her already immaculate home wearing a string of pearls. Before Ward gets home she prepares everything and everyone. Dinner is always done on time and the kids are in good behavior with washed hands and homework done.

I'm not your average 'housewife' type. I don't stay home with kids (although, I tip my hat to those who do!). I work a 40hr work week in a fast paced retail store and live with my fiance (soon to be husband) in a quaint apartment. But something about the art of the 50's housewife leaves me intrigued. The Junes of her time made a warm and loving environment for her family out of love. She baked those apple pies to fill her family's belly. Everything was perfect, because she insisted that for her family. There is a lot to say about a woman who can make a place into a home.

In my childhood years, my mother stayed home with all of us. She had six children and a dozen animals yet you would think a family of 3 lived in our home. She was on top of everything and dinner was never a frozen pizza, it was a delicious meal. Coming home from school, I remember seeing her watching her soaps on TV after she had just finished mopping, with the smell of lemon in the air, as well as whatever was in the oven for that night. The whole house was dusted, mopped, washed, straightened and cozy. She made it look so easy, and she rarely took the day off. She did this out of love for her big family and her hard working husband. Her hard work and dedication to her family is a big part of the happiness of my childhood!

So what are my motives? I don't lead the same life as my mom, or many others like her. But I appreciate their talents, skills, and obvious devotion for their families. Not all women find these activities interesting, and that's fine. All women are different, and lovely in their own way. What I want to post here is my experiences trying to find my calling in domestic arts, making it work into my own already busy life and possibly inspiring others in the way. This blog is in no way anything other than my own opinion upon who I am as a "Offbeat Housewife". So there are no facts here, just my thoughts and opinions and there is no need to become offended as the only person being ridiculed here will be myself!

Please feel free to leave a comment on anything you'd like for me to discuss, try, or accomplish. Maybe I can help you along the way if you're in the same boat as me, or maybe you can help me!

Now onto the adventure!!

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment